The Canton Goodfellows are committed to serving as many Canton families as possible this holiday season. In order to ensure everyone’s safety during the Covid-19 Pandemic, our 2020 program has been drastically changed.
This year, we will not be sponsoring out our children to community members, who would normally shop for toys and clothes for a child. Instead, we will be giving families gift cards for each child, so that parents can shop for their children’s gifts.
Due to this major change, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to serve as many families as we have in previous years. Our final count of families will depend upon how much in monetary donations we receive from the Canton Community.
More details of our 2020 program changes are listed below.
APPROVED FAMILIES WILL RECEIVE
- Gift cards for each child, to be used toward clothes and toys/gifts
- Two books per child
- Gift cards for food
- Holiday wrapping paper and tape
- NOTE: The items above will be placed in one FAMILY BAG. There will be no need for one leaf bag per child this year.
- A box of nonperishable food, from our Holiday Market food drive
- A frozen holiday dinner box, donated by SYSCO
APPLICATION NOTES FOR PARENTS
- Our 2020 Parent Letter will not be sent home through the schools.
- Application Packets will be available on Sept 18th.
- If the Canton Library or the Canton Clerk’s Office are not closed down, you can pick up an Application Packet at either location. Or, you can print an Application Packet from our GET ASSISTANCE page.
- Our “Approved” family post cards will not be sent out as soon as families are approved, as in past years. Approved post cards will probably be sent out at the end of October. By October 31st, we need to determine 1) if we can serve more families, and 2) how much in gift cards we will be able to give to our families.
- If your family is denied assistance, a post card will be sent out as soon as that has been determined, so that you can seek assistance elsewhere.
- Don’t delay in getting your application in to us this year. The earlier you get in your application, the better chance you have of getting approved for assistance.
“SPONSOR” a CHILD BY MAKING A Monetary DONATION
- Since we will not be sponsoring children out to shoppers, we will be needing much more in monetary donations this year. Note below that our major 2020 fundraisers have been canceled.
- Please consider becoming a “Sponsor” by making a monetary donation this year. Go to our DONATE page to make a donation. Suggested amounts for sponsoring are posted on that page.
2020 FUNDRAISING EVENTS
- Golden Harvest 5K Run – CANCELED
- No Child Without A Christmas 5K Run – CANCELED
- PSSC Middle Schools “The Crossover” – CANCELED
- Holiday Market Food Drive – STILL ON – See our CALENDAR page for dates
- Post Card Mailer sent to Previous Donors – OUT EARLIER , in AUGUST, in hopes of getting donations in sooner
WORK WEEK VOLUNTEERS
- We will be needing considerably less volunteers this year. The number we’ll need is yet to be determined.
- We will directly contact some of our “regular” volunteers, if we need help.
PICK-UP DAY NOTES FOR PARENTS
- We may be assigning each parent a time range in which you can pick up your one FAMILY BAG, food box, and frozen holiday meal.
- For safety reasons, parents will remain in their cars.
- Parents are expected to bring their Post Card and ID, which will be brought into the building by one of our members.
- We will deliver the family’s items to your car.
- SYSCO will distribute your holiday dinner box.
- And, you’ll be on your way, safely!