IMPORTANT MESSAGES FROM THE CANTON GOODFELLOWS
- Please check this page often, especially from August to December each year.
- We will post items such as: new or upcoming events, applications being available or closed, needing more or having enough Child Sponsors, and anything else we need to inform you about.
- Posts will be dated, for ease of reference.
10/16/2020 The 2020 Canton Goodfellows Applications for Christmas Assistance are now CLOSED.
- If you have submitted a 2020 application, an “approved” or “denied” postcard will be sent to you by November 1, 2020. If you have not received a postcard by that date, please contact us.
- If you are looking for Christmas assistance, contact your local churches or call the Salvation Army (734-453-5464) starting on October 15, 2020.
7/30/2020 What a year this has been! We hope that everyone is taking care of themselves and staying safe during this Pandemic of ours.
The big news that we have to share with everyone is this. Due to the Pandemic, our 2020 program has had to be drastically changed. Our program as it has been traditionally run, involves lots of people, in close quarters. The Canton Goodfellows Board met and mulled through many questions, as we tried to make the best decision. First on our list was…How could we keep everyone safe, if we kept our program the same this year? Then came….Would we have enough Sponsors for our children? Could they afford to do the shopping? Would stores be open or closed when our Sponsors would be doing the shopping? Would we have enough helpers to sort through the usual 300+ child bags?…and more. None of these questions could be answered with certainty. In the end, the Board decided to go the Gift Card route this year, instead of having sponsors shop for the kids. This year, the parents will be doing the shopping. We think that this is the best decision all around, in order to better ensure everyone’s safety. The 2020 changes are detailed here MAJOR 2020 PROGRAM CHANGES .
Stay safe everyone!